Monday 9 May 2011

Speaking Volumes

Before Christmas I decided it was time to stop accepting everything I had been told was right and start investigating my beliefs for myself.

I wanted to read more, not just as a study excercise, but also autobiographies of people's faith journey's.  It was one of the reasons I started blogging, that, and I'm insanely nosey. 

I mean, who wouldn't want to read about the poor Mormon women who was 1 of 9 wives, and bore 12 of her husband's 57 children - and I thought Brethren was difficult.  My memoirs coming soon by the way!

This was when I discovered that our local library had very little to offer in Christian literature, and I found, tucked away in my brain, a memory of a website my Dad had told me about yonks before. 

Check out www.christianbookpromotions.org.uk/ , I showed this site to a couple of our Church leaders who agreed it was a brilliant way to outreach very locally to the community, and I am pleased to say that we were able to donate over 100 Christian based books to our local library!

You have to understand I am not a leader, or someone who acts on idea's, I have low self confidence and opinion of myself, so for me to initiate this idea through our Church took a lot of courage, which came only through prayer, every step of the way.

I am learning and changing all the time, God has taught me to be confident, yet discreet.  My goal is for Him to have the final Glory, which at the same time has blessed me.

Do something for your community, do it quietly, and with God at the forefront of your thoughts.  There are about 400 in our Church, and about 5 of us know it was our Church that donated the books to the library.

Matthew 6:1 “Be 1 careful not to display your righteousness merely to be seen by people. Otherwise you have no reward with your Father in heaven. 2 Thus whenever you do charitable giving, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in synagogues and on streets so that people will praise them. I tell you the truth,  they have their reward. 3 But when you do your giving, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your gift may be in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you.

No comments:

Post a Comment