Tuesday 6 September 2011

I'm Alright

Our homegroup starts back tonight after having had it's 'Summer' break.  The thing I initially found most difficult and uncomfortable within our group is the prayer time. The question is put forward "so anyone got anything they require prayer for? Any problems or difficulties we can pray about for you?" "Uh, no. Definately not me, I'm alright."

I daren't let go of anything, good ole smiley me.  Then what annoys me more is that the praying starts and I think 'seriously? That needs prayer? Do these people know what real problems are?' Uh, no they don't, because I wouldn't tell them!

Don't get me wrong I have a fantastic and supportive homegroup and despite my unwillingness to share, I have a strong feeling I was prayed for regularly because now when I say "I'm alright" I think I mean it, and I think people believe me!

I suppose I didn't want to be the one, and there will always be one, who always has a problem, things are never quite right, 'woe is me, I can't get my toddler to use the potty properly.' Newsflash, everybody goes through that and just gets on with it, it doesn't need a prayer gathering. Of course you should pray for that if you are finding it difficult, but asking other people to ask God to help you out with toilet training your toddler? I don't know.

I'm not sure if this was the tangent this post was heading down, but it's here now, so I might as well go with it.

I guess I'm wondering at what point it is valid to bear your soul to your brothers and sisters in Christ and say 'you know what? I'm struggling, I don't know if I can get through this, will you pray for me?'

So homegroup tonight, "any prayer requests?" will I say "I'm alright"? and if I do, will I mean it?

No comments:

Post a Comment